No matter what business you’re in, creativity and your ability to think outside the box are two of your most important assets. Curiosity and creativity can lead to new ideas, which correlate to new products, new services, new ways of attracting customers, new ways to compete and new ways to stand out from the crowd. There’s no shortage of creative thinking when you’re filled with the excitement of starting your own business, but the challenge comes with keeping that creativity thriving once you’re off and running.
Here’s some simple tips to get your creative juices flowing. Your business will thank you.
- Don’t just take breaks, take a walk—it might feel uncomfortable to step outside of business mode, but it’s important to take a true step back once in a while. A recent study released by Stanford researchers shows that our creative output increases by an average of 60% when walking. This boost in creativity can lead to breakthroughs and smarter business.
- Make admin work more efficient to free up time—one of the greatest killers of creativity is spending too much time on tedious administrative tasks, such as invoicing. Small business owners who use Invoice2go to send invoices and manage cash flow report saving 3 hours on average each week. Use this extra time to hold a brainstorm session with a consultant to get fresh ideas for ways to enhance your business
- Keep it simple—finding time to be creative should never be viewed as too daunting of a task. Keep it simple by making a list of people who are where you want to be. Then identify what made these individuals successful and look for ways to integrate their best practices into your business plan.
- Listen to TED Talks—even for the busiest small business owner, TED.com can be a great place for bite sized inspiration. For starters, watch “4 Lessons in Creativity” or check out the “Kickstart Your Creativity” playlist.
- Never forget a great idea—you know when an idea just comes to you at a random moment? Capture it right then and there. Evernote makes sure you “remember everything” by allowing you to store, organize and share text, photos and voice notes. Simplenote offers a bare bones approach, allowing you to simply write down notes in a searchable, easy to organize way, and access them from anywhere. It’s never been easier to keep track of all those brilliant ideas.